MY PROSTHETIC AND I: Identity Representation in Bodily Extension

• Elizabeth Wright University of Newcastle

Abstract

My prosthetic is a secret of my self. It hides, tucked beneath clothing, allowing me to pass as something that I am not, that I can never be. It is precious to me, it enables me, gives me mobility and an aesthetic that would cease if it was removed from me. Within my body schema, my prosthetic is as much a part of my body as my skin, blood, and organs. It is also an object of technology, a topological replacement of a missing body part. However, a large, un-chartered misunderstanding of experience separates both of these experiences. For many years, academics, artists, and theorists have tried to merge the two, in the process bringing forth ideas on the prosthetic that have seemingly removed it from the realm of disabled experience and into the fantastical world of the uncanny. Therefore, the question for myself, as an artist, is how to explore this large chasm of differing experience and draw out the uncanny into a world of subtle, lived understanding and visual acceptance.
Published
05-Jun-2009
How to Cite
Wright, Elizabeth. 2009. “MY PROSTHETIC AND I: Identity Representation in Bodily Extension”. FORUM: University of Edinburgh Postgraduate Journal of Culture & The Arts, no. 08 (June). https://doi.org/10.2218/forum.08.623.
Section
Articles