Leviathan Hiring Head of Production
Leviathan is seeking a qualified candidate for the post of Head of Production for the 2020/21 academic year.
The Production Team at Leviathan is responsible for the layout and aesthetic design of the journal’s publications both in print and online, and therefore the candidate would be overseeing this team and working as the intermediary between the production associates and the other members of the Editorial Board. Once journal articles have successfully passed the various editing and peer review processes, they are handed to Production, where they are transformed into a fresh, aesthetically pleasing publication edition to be circulated throughout the community in both print and digital formats. The Production Team is made up of layout specialists, visual artists and photographers, all of whom collaborate to conceptualise and produce the desired design.
The candidate would be a member of the Editorial Board of Leviathan, and therefore would be present in all editorial meetings and motions alongside the other division heads and Executive Committee. This position permits quite a lot of creative freedom and direction, as long as it is executed with the consent of the other editors. This position is unpaid. If interested, please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversee layout of journal articles with the use of Adobe InDesign.
- Lead training sessions for new members.
- Divide and assign work between all members of the production team with clear deadlines and support available, in collaboration with the Chief of Arts.
- Select and curate eye-catching, politically appropriate visuals to accompany each article, or work on commissioning visuals with the Chief of Arts.
- Format the final publications into PDFs that can be posted on the Leviathan website as well as easily sent to the printer.
- Mediate between the editorial board and the production specialists throughout the production process.
- Attend editorial board meetings, present team progress, vote on motions and voice opinions.
- Mastery of Adobe InDesign (essential) and Photoshop (desirable), with the ability to also teach others.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Drive and Microsoft Teams.
- Experience with graphic design.
- Willing to manage a small team, as well as provide training and support if necessary.
- Interpersonal skills and empathy.
- An eye for clean, fresh designs.
- A willingness to contribute to the overall direction of the journal.
- An interest in politics and international relations (desirable).